Freetown, Sierra Leone | 18 October 2023 | Employment
Required Education : Master
Start date : 1 January 2024
Mission duration : Fixed : 1 year
Deadline for applications : 3 November 2023
Salary : To be defined
SOLTHIS- Therapeutic Solidarity for Initiatives in Health is a global health NGO, founded 20 years ago, which works for prevention and access to quality healthcare for all, by sustainably strengthening healthcare systems and services. We focus on women’s, mothers’ and children’s health, and on major pandemics such as HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis. Solthis is a development NGO, present in West Africa within 6 country offices, which, in partnership with local actors, deploys projects including operational research, capacity building and advocacy.
SOLTHIS applies a policy of non-discrimination in hiring based solely on the skills, experience and interpersonal skills of its candidates, and under no circumstances bases its selection criteria on notions such as gender, age, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious affiliation or state of health (pathology and/or disability).
We therefore encourage you all to apply.
To complete our team based in Freetown, Sierra Leone, we are looking for a:
Program Coordinator – Sierra Leone
Contract duration : 1-year fixed-term contract (renewable)
Status : National or Expatriate
Duty station : Freetown, Sierra Leone
Availability : On or before 01/01/2024
SOLTHIS has been working in Sierra Leone since 2011 on health issues, more specifically around the challenges of HIV, TB and health systems strenghtening. SOLTHIS operates in Sierra Leone via a coordination office in the capital city Freetown and two sub-offices in Bo and Makeni Districts. Interventions are implemented by a team of 25 staff..
The Program Coordinator is responsible for the sound management of ongoing and start-up projects, and supervises the project coordinators in the implementation of their projects. In particular, he/she ensures that project management tools are correctly implemented for each project, and supports the appropriation of these tools by all project teams. He/she ensures that a solid steering and reporting systems are in place. He/she manages and supports project coordinators and a Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) coordinator, and facilitates interaction with support departments. He/she coordinates the development of new projects with the Country Director, and support teams and project coordinators to achieve projects activities in a timely manner and in compliance with donors' regulations.
Since 2022, SOLTHIS is supporting the implementation of the New Funding Model 3 (NFM3) to accelerate the achievement of 95-95-95 targets in Sierra Leone by 2024 through a Technical Assistance to the NACP (National HIV/AIDS control programme) in 7 districts (Rural and Urban Western Areas, Port Loko, Bombali, Tonkolili, Bo and Kenema Districts. SOLTHIS is also implementing a Programme for strengthening health systems and services (PROSSAN II) funded by the French Development Agency (AFD) Group that aims to strengthen the quality of and access to health services and ensure the active participation of communities, particularly women and young people, in national health issues. In Quarter 4, 2023, SOLTHIS will be launching the multi countries project ‘'Partnership to Improve Population Health in West Africa'' (CPP) Project funded by the AFD and focusing on knowledge generation and lessons learning of both current and past implemented projects by SOLTHIS.
The Program Coordinator is responsible for the sound management of ongoing and start-up projects, and for supervising project coordinators in the implementation of their projects. The Program Coordinator is also called upon to set up new projects, either to provide support or coordination.
In order to carry out his/her mission, the Program Coordinator :
Supervises project coordinator:s :
- Is responsible for project implementation, including team recruitment, contracting with partners, setting up project management tools (budget monitoring, operational planning, etc.) and monitoring the quality of project activities, in liaison with technical management and MEAL management
- Supervises quarterly and annual meetings and project reporting: leads the production of the analysis of results achieved by each project, pre-validates reprogramming proposals for each project, ensures the completeness and quality of deliverables produced.
- Ensures the quality of project implementation and monitoring : in accordance with Solthis standards, in liaison with technical management, and ensures compliance with donor rules and accountability.
- Supports the development and implementation of project Monitoring & Evaluation plans in conjunction with the coordinators and MEAL Coordinator
Supervises and manages the project implementation team:
- Develops and participates in team building, creating a healthy work environment that respects Solthis values and complies with HR principles.
- Recruits project coordinators and MEAL coordinators, in liaison with the Country Director and Head Office.
- Sets annual objectives and carries out regular individual reviews
- Supports project coordinator in strengthening their project management skills
- Concurrently plays the role of project coordinator in the absence of the incumbent
Coordinates the setting up of new projects :
In close collaboration with the Country Director and Head Office teams,
- Supports needs analysis, information gathering and exchanges with partners/beneficiaries to identify intervention strategies
- Leads the participatory project development process with local partners, and draws up project development documents
Initial training :
You have an advanced degree (Master’s) or equivalent in a relevant field (public health, project management, development, …).
You must have at least 2 years’ experience in a program coordination position (supervision of several projects and project teams) or at least 6 years’ experience in a complex/multi-country/multi-partner project coordination position, and proven experience in project management, particularly in health, as well as in project development and writing.
Qualities & Skills:
We are looking for someone who:
- Masters both the cycle and the various stages of project management, as well as the management of institutional funding and budgetary control,
- Knows how to lead meetings and participative workshops,
- Has excellent writing, summarizing and analytical skills, and
- Knows how to supervise teams, build their capacities and coordinate teamwork, in order to create a team dynamic within the mission.
- Mastery of Pack Office and remote meeting facilitation tools (Teams, zoom)
Dependent on contract (national or expatriate), experience in a similar position and SOLTHIS' salary scales.
HOW TO APPLY ?
Application: CV, cover letter and 3 references (former managers)
To be sent to: email@example.com with the subject “PROG Coord SL- First Name LAST NAME“.
Application deadline : 03/11/2023
Procedures: Successful candidates will be contacted for technical validation and an HR interview.
Please note. Any application submitted after this deadline will not be considered. SOLTHIS reviews applications on an ongoing basis and may close recruitment early if a candidate is selected for the position.