27 November 2015 | Informations
NIGERCAPACITY BUILDINGFighting HIV / AIDS
Sex workers and their clients are among the most people at risk of infection with HIV / AIDS in Niger. This project aims to improve access to health care and socio-economic support for sex workers and their clients.
Solthis is implementing this project funded by the World Bank in Niger, through the Intersectoral Coordination of Fight against AIDS (CISLS), in consortium with the INGO Population Services International (leader), and the local associations Lafia Matassa and ANBEF, in Tillabery and Agadez regions.
Overall, in Tillabery and Agadez, this whole project has already led to :
• 1500 group awareness sessions
• More than 50,000 male and female condoms distributed
• 1800 professional sex workers and their clients oriented towards health centers for sexually transmitted infections and HIV screenings.
Solthis has been particularly involved in coordination activities for the monitoring / evaluation of the project, in trainings and in implementing effective and efficient partnerships for the support of sex workers and their clients towards care and treatment, and in order to promote less risky behaviors among these key populations and to reduce contamination and mortality rates.
Solthis' activities resulted in :
– Training community mediators and peer educators
– Training leaders and members of partners NGOs, in the working approach based on human rights based approach and the fight against stigma and discrimination
– Holding awareness workshops with dozens of bartenders / restaurant / hotels and brothels, with 45 healthcare professionals from the health facilities involved in the project and with thirty media personalities to involve them in the implementation of the project.
– producing an advertorial broadcasted on the radio and national television