In 2006, Solthis was approached by Madagascar's Ministry of Health and the CNLS (National AIDS Prevention Committee) to improve access to antiretroviral treatments for all populations. Until 2013, Solthis assisted in keeping the country's HIV prevalence rate low.
Solthis' operational context in Madagascar
Solthis has been active in Madagascar since 2006.
After signing an agreement with the Ministry of Health and the CNLS (National AIDS Prevention Committee), Solthis helped to scale up access to antiretrovirals and assisted in keeping the HIV prevalence rate low.
2006-2009: Implementation of measures to keep the country's prevalence rate low by helping to provide a better understanding of the epidemiological situation and preparing for its evolution given the number of existing risk factors.
2009-2013: Introduction of remote collaboration with national partners. Under its agreement with the National Reference Laboratory (LNR) of Madagascar and the Virology Laboratory at the Necker University Hospital in Paris, Solthis conducted viral and epidemiological studies to evaluate drug resistance to antiretrovirals and help provide a better understanding of the epidemic.
Partners: Ministry of Health, CNLS (National AIDS Prevention Committee), and LNR (National Reference Laboratory)
Areas of operation: Antananarivo and North Province (regions of Diana and Sava), the Menabe region (Morondava), the southwest regions (Tuléar), Boeny (Majunga), Est (Tamatave), Analanjirofo (Fénérive and Sainte Marie), and Anosy (Fort-Dauphin)
Focus of operations: HIV/AIDS
Highlights of Solthis operations in Madagascar
Support for improved therapeutic care
- Technical assistance for updating national treatment recommendations
- Support for the National Reference Laboratory for setting up the viral load
- Training for physicians on handling failed treatments
- Field diagnosis and post-training follow-up
Supply management support
- Methodological support for measuring antiretroviral needs
- Development of a tool specifically for measuring antiretroviral needs in Madagascar
- Consolidation of antiretroviral measurements and improved capacity for using the tool developed by Solthis
- Evaluation of the healthcare product supply system for HIV/AIDS prevention
- Analysis of samples to supplement the national assessment of primary resistance
- Analysis of samples from the 2010 biological and behavioral survey of men who have had sexual intercourse with men
- Compilation of a viral and epidemiological database