The main issues which countries with limited resources currently face in managing the provision and storage of medical products are the risks of supply shortages leading to interruptions in patient care.
- Avoid supply shortages
- Enable consistent access to quality medicines
- Ensure the appropriate usage of health products by prescribers, dispensers and patients
- Guarantee the continual availability of medicines and medical products necessary for patient care.
- Ensure products are distributed to clinical facilities, with quality control at all levels of the supply chain
- Facilitate the rational usage of medical products, supporting healthcare professionals and better enabling patients to pursue their treatment.
Our intervention strategy
A systematic approach in all areas of stocks and supply management.
What we do in the field
Organisation and coordination
- Support the coordination and the collective dynamic of the key actors and institutions in the pharmaceutical system to improve the flow of information.
- Implement control systems to secure the availability and quality of medical products.
- Support pharmacists and managers/ dispensers in the organisation of the movement of medicines within the health system.
- Support the definition, the implementation, and evaluation of pharmaceutical policies: pharmaceutical regulations, quality assurance and medical product management.
- Formulate norms and procedures for good practice in purchase, storage and distribution.
- Lobby for the updating of human resource policies in the pharmaceutical sector, taking account of operational constraints (staff turnover, delegation of tasks).
Selection, quantification and purchase
- Assist in the prediction of a country's needs in terms of medicines and medical products, the formulation of supply and provision management plans and finance requests.
- Support the identification of the range of essential pharmaceutical products and the definition of technical specifications linked to these products.
Find out about our ARV and medical products quantification tools
- Produce advice to organisations in operationalising and rationalising the medical products distribution chain.
Pharmaceutical and logistical information system
- Strengthen pharmaceutical and logistical information systems by: modernising management and reporting tools, digitalising management systems and defining and implementing monitoring and evaluation indicators.
- Assessment of available inventory and implementation of early warning systems to avoid shortages and waste at all levels of the supply chain.
- Implementation of procedures to ensure optimal storage conditions and preserve the quality of healthcare products throughout their shelf life.
Pharmaceuticals: dispensing and rational use
- Training and one-on-one tutoring for pharmacists, managers and dispensers in care sites.
Check out our card game and have fun while learning about ARVs
Solthis helps us to select the necessary products for screening and treating HIV/AIDS, as well as to inventory, store, and even distribute them in prescription centers — Pharmacist in Niger
|Our national partners||Partnerships|