New governance schemes have been put in place to better coordinate the efforts of all those involved in national healthcare programmes, including AIDS programmes (health ministry HIV programmes, national AIDS control committees, NGOs, donor agencies).
But strategic planning, the technical nature of certain aspects (medical, supplies), and on-the-ground implementation of national policies remain significant challenges for national coordinating bodies.
Solthis shares its expertise with its national partners and supports them in developing national healthcare policies, sectoral strategies and technical standards and procedures.
Solthis is also working to strengthen mechanisms for consultation and coordination among various stakeholders at the institutional level, and between those stakeholders and civil society (community associations, observatories, patient networks).
What we do in the field
- Support the development of national policies: guides, protocols, directives, strategic frameworks, decentralization plans
- Participate in technical medical committees
- Participate in preparing funding applications, notably for the Global Fund: quantifying needs, active-file projection modelling, listing pharmaceutical products
- Build the capacity of agency technical managers: training, internships, providing technical documentation
- Provide technical support and training for regional public health boards to improve their oversight of healthcare structures
- Strengthen and decentralise health districts: strengthen executive teams in the areas of training and supervision, as well as steering the health strategy (HIV) and operationalising decentralisation plans
- Participate in and strengthen multi-stakeholder consultation mechanisms: technical groups, supply group
- Strengthen patient associations and local community networks so they can participate in establishing policies and national health programmes
- Elect Country Coordination Mechanism (CCM) member for the Global Fund in some countries as a representative of international NGOs
- Advocate for better adaptation of Global Fund operations to the realities of the various countries