Support to the elaboration of the additional request for funding for the fight against Covid-19 in Guinea
On 11 March 2020, the WHO declared Covid-19 a pandemic, the first global pandemic caused by a coronavirus. Faced with the threat of the coronavirus, states are focusing their efforts on response strategies such as raising awareness of the adoption of barrier measures, physical distancing, as well as measures to restrict the movement of populations, confinements, border closures, etc. Despite these measures, the poorest and most vulnerable people remain, along with minorities, the most exposed to the situation, due to their disadvantaged legal and social status, not to mention the difficulties encountered in accessing health services. In response to the many challenges posed by this pandemic, the Board of the Global Fund (GF) to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria has established a new mechanism to support countries in the fight against C19RM and to mitigate its impact on HIV, TB and malaria programmes and health systems. Following the receipt of the allocation letter, Guinea has been awarded funding for a total amount of US$ 20.433 million. Solthis has been requested to support the drafting of this specific request for the response to COVID-19.
|Source of funding
|Canal 1 – L'Initiative
|Multisectoral Coordination Committee (CCM) – Guinea
|104 570 €
Support the Drafting Group in the preparation of Guinea’s funding request for the Global Fund’s C19RM 2021 facility.
Activities and expected results
- Guinea’s request for C19RM 2021 funding is developed in a participatory and inclusive manner for all actors in the fight against pandemics and proposes an effective and inclusive intervention strategy that is complementary to other COVID-19 funding from the TFPs
- Conduct a rapid and participatory review of the national response to COVID-19, including its impact on essential services including HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria
- Draw up a map of bilateral and international funding dedicated to COVID-19 (UN agencies, the World Bank, the European Union, the FM, etc.) in order to ensure complementarity with the present request and the effectiveness of the aid
- Facilitate country dialogue through ongoing communication with all stakeholders in the application process and the consideration of their recommendations
- Complete the C19RM 2021 Global Fund application form according to CCM guidance
- Update the response strategy for the three pandemics in the COVID-19 context
- Guinea’s C19RM 2021 funding request proposes a strategy to strengthen the national health system, including the community health system, in order to guarantee the continuity of services to combat the three pandemics, with particular attention to the removal of gender and human rights barriers.